5 dead and 7 hospitalized after suspected carbon monoxide leak in an Italian nursing home

5 dead and 7 hospitalized after suspected carbon monoxide leak in an Italian nursing home
Photo Credit: Ommcom News

Italy, January 18: An accidental gas leak at the Villa Dei Diamanti care home in Lanuvio, a town situated near Rome has led to the unfortunate demise of five with seven others in a critical condition. The suspected leakage of carbon monoxide.

On discovering 12 unconscious people in the nursing home, the morning supervision team called for immediate assistance. The five surviving residents are currently undergoing treatment at a hospital nearby, while two care assistants have been moved to a hospital in Rome. According to a press release from the Anti-COVID crisis unit of the Lazio region the survivors showed clear symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. 

The nursing home was managing an outbreak of coronavirus after a health worker tested positive on Jan. 13, ANSA said, citing a statement by the Lazio regional crisis centre.